‘Leave it to me bro’: Djoker dropped amid hilarious Kyrgios tennis scenes

It was the warm-up match that had everyone talking ahead of next week’s Australian Open, when Nick Kyrgios took on 21-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic on Friday night.

And in hilarious scenes, it was Kyrgios who claimed victory over his former rival, now friend Djokovic, in three sets, with doubles partners in the third.

The exhibition match between last year’s Wimbledon finalists was Djokovic’s first at Melbourne Park since his infamous deportation over his controversial stance on the Covid vaccine.

Watch live Tennis with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. Live coverage of ATP + WTA tournaments, including matches in each final. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

After both players were greeted with applause on court, the Serbian superstar made light work of his first service game before Kyrgios, in his first singles match in 98 days, could make an impact.

His first service point was an ace, leaving Djokovic stunned after the ball clipped the net and fell inside.

Djokovic clearly forgot the Fast Four rules where serves are still in play.

“Novak forgets and Nick, whose IQ is very high, didn’t forget,” said commentator Wally Masur.

Djokovic laughed when he said he “didn’t get my grade” before the match as he sat down for his first break.

Kyrgios took the first underarm serve of the night in the third game, while it was Djokovic who unsuccessfully went for the first tweener, prompting Kyrgios to cheekily reply “Leave the tweeners to me bro.”

Joking Djokovic “will start to sink”, Kyrgios pulled himself out of trouble to push the first set to a tie break in the Fast Four format.

Djokovic’s attempt at a quick underarm serve didn’t pay off after two brilliant winners from Kyrgios set up three set points. And it was the Aussie who claimed the first tiebreak in seven, prompting the two to have a moment of excitement in their chairs with Kyrgios’ favorite Alive cans.

The Serbian superstar made the most of some advice from the crowd in the second set as he broke early.

Not even Djokovic’s volleying brilliance, which saw the Serb literally dance across the net, could prevent Kyrgios from getting on the board in the third game.

But Djokovic needed just one set point to take the match to a 10-point tiebreaker.

The match then took the entertainment value to another level when wheelchair-bound Heath Davidson and David Wagner joined the antics.

The trash talk rose to another level as Kyrgios’ “weakest link” and tactical talk Djokovic was laughed off.

“No eye contact, keep it together,” Djokovic laughed as the duo switched ends.

Djokovic was overwhelmed, despite Kyrgios warning “Novak, I’m coming to your mate”, in hilarious scenes.

When a pair of 10-year-olds entered as doubles partners, it was Djokovic who won match point first.

But in the end it was Kyrgios who took the victory 4-3 (5-3), 4-3, 10-9.

Tennis boss warns crowd he’ll fire Novak | 03:28

Despite having his hamstrings strapped for the match, Djokovic showed no signs of limitation as he stretched and lunged for each ball.

Djokovic admitted he was “excited” to step out on Rod Laver Arena again as both players received a massive ovation.

He laughed as he brushed off questions about Kyrgios’ 2-1 head-to-head win between the pair.

“I’m feeling a bit emotional now to be honest,” he said. “I’m sure we’ll have a lot of fun.

“That’s the only game I care about right now with Nick (laughs). He’s in my thoughts, he’s in my prayers. It’s going to be two-all after tonight (head to head).”

Kyrgios admitted he was “nervous” about returning to Melbourne as he remained set on the “reward” of Wimbledon.

“I’m not going to lie, nervous out here again,” he said.

Djokovic injures his leg ahead of the AO | 00:35

“It is a very special moment for me.

“I need some compensation for Wimbledon – I haven’t slept since!”

Friday night’s Rod Laver Arena clash was remarkably sold out in just 58 minutes as fans flocked to watch Kyrgios for the first time this summer, after he controversially withdrew from the events of warming up in recent weeks due to an ankle injury.

But the world number 22, Australia’s top player, is reveling in the theatrics of the blockbuster event, even taking a ride on his critics ahead of Friday’s match with a cheeky tweet.

“Wow, Nick Kyrgios is bad for sport! Wow, what a shame, a national disgrace! How dare he sell out another stadium, the arrogance,” a sarcastic Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *